Morris History

Morris, Manitoba, is located at the confluence of the Red and Morris rivers, about 55 kilometers south of Winnipeg. Originally known as Scratching River, the community was named in honour of Alexander Morris, the first Chief Justice of Manitoba’s Court of Queen’s Bench and later the province’s second Lieutenant Governor. In the early 1800s, the area was the site of fur-trade rivalries and later became a landmark for cart brigades travelling between St. Paul, Minnesota, and the Red River Colony. By the early 1870s, settlers from Ontario were homesteading in the area, and Morris soon became an important stagecoach stop between Fargo, North Dakota, and Fort Garry.

The arrival of the railway brought excitement and promise. Residents understood that rail service would improve transportation for produce, attract new settlers, and strengthen communication. When Morris learned that the CPR line planned for 1882–83 would bypass the community by six miles, residents offered a bonus to encourage the railway to relocate. Although the municipality could not legally offer the full amount first proposed, the citizens of Scratching River chose to withdraw from the municipality and incorporate as a town so they could pursue the railway relocation.

In 1882, the province was petitioned to incorporate Scratching River as a town. Morris was officially incorporated on January 9, 1883, with 6,100 acres and an assessment of $26,100. By 1884–85, the town had collapsed under its debt load, but it recovered by the mid-1890s. In 1906, 4,000 acres were removed from the town and incorporated back into the Rural Municipality of Morris.

The Rivers

The Red and Morris rivers have had a significant impact on the town, particularly during the floods of 1950, 1966, and 1979. On March 31, 1966, Manitoba Premier Duff Roblin held a flood meeting in Morris, where he and his ministers informed residents about what to expect and what precautions to take. Morris, St. Jean, and Emerson began moving earth quickly to build ring dikes. On Easter Monday in 1966, the dike at Morris was saved through the combined efforts of Mennonite Disaster Service, local residents, and a contingent of Canadian Army Engineers. As high waves and nearly 20 feet of water pressed against the dike at its lowest point, bulldozers were braced against the dry side, a boom of hydro poles was placed on the wet side, and extra weight was added to the sandbags. These efforts held the dike in place. A permanent dike has since been built around the Town of Morris, helping keep the community safe during the 1997 “Flood of the Century.”

Miscellaneous History Tidbits

Red River residents resorted to kidnapping to retain a favoured resident. When in April 1859, it came time for a popular nun, Sister Ste. Therese, a sister of charity, to return to her order in Bytown, several individuals sprang into action. They swept down upon her traveling party near Scratching River (Morris), scooped her from the oxcart, and returned her to St. Boniface. She stayed on permanently. From Manitoba 125 - A History Volume 1 - Rupert's Land to Riel.

Go to Pembina Manitou Archive to look at issues of the Morris Herald or visit the Morris Museum's facebook page for more historical information on Morris!

Contact Us

Town of Morris
1-380 Stampede Grounds
Box 28 Morris, Manitoba R0G 1K0
P: 204 746 2531
E: info@townofmorris.ca